Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Know Your Own Body

I have been training for a half marathon a few months now. I have been a bodybuilder for the past year, but wanted to train myself in something new so I could gain the experience of what it takes to be a "runner". I use the term "runner" lightly because I know anyone can be a runner, there are just those that enjoy it more than others. I am also working towards becoming a personal trainer, so experiencing different things first hand will help me better train clients.

While bodybuilding I only had to do 20-40 minutes of cardio a day and that included anything to get my heart rate up for that amount of time. So of course I would choose the elliptical, stair master, biking, and once in a while I would get up the motivation to throw in a run. The furthest I had ever run before I starting training was 5 miles and it was a group run during fire season. Let's just say running was NOT my favorite thing to do...

While I have been training I have done research on a lot of running topics, styles, shoes, diets, just about everything. I have read blogs to see what other people prefer, asked my "runner" friends how they do it, anything to make more sense of how I am going to successfully cross that finish line after 13.1 dreadful miles!

As I go through my runs throughout the week I test these advises and weed out the things that work for me personally. I have ultimately come to the realization that you can gain a certain amount of knowledge about the science of training for something, but it comes down to knowing your own body and how it works. You are the one who really knows how your body works and what is best for your success.

I was talking with a buddy of mine who runs many different races. We discussed his style and how he goes about crossing the finish line. He is one who doesn't listen to music, he enjoys the sounds and the sights as he runs. He doesn't stop for water because even just the reach to grab it would mess up his pace, he wears the lightest clothes possible and won't carry anything extra with him. Some may see his style as "crazy", but to him it is HIS style. He has figured out what works for him to be able to keep going!

Another friend of mine talked about how she would walk 30 seconds after every mile and she could still keep a great pace. If you are like me, the initial reaction to that would be the fear of not wanting to run again after I had stopped, or I would actually lose energy by walking. I was able to run with her and test this out on myself, and I surprisingly could start up again after the short walk. I felt like I had a little more life in my knees as well. I am not set on this style yet as I am still figuring out what really is best for me.

Knowing how your own body reacts is not just focused on running style, it is the whole package. What pre-race meal is best for your digestive system? What shoes are best for your feet? What music powers your stride? What thoughts helps you focus during the race? Do you need that halfway energy boost?

It is up to you to really get in sync with your own body and see what works for you. You can't rely on what works for someone else because we are all so different in so many ways. Which makes us unique! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment