Saturday, April 28, 2012

Bucket List...Run from Cowely to Lovell

I grew up in small town Lovell, Wyoming where there are surrounding towns such as Byron- 7 miles away and Cowely- 6 miles away.

When I was young my friends and I thought it would be fun to ride our bikes to Cowely to go see one of their boyfriends. So, I got on my little Huffy "BMX look-a-like" and set off in the heat of a summer day to ride 6 miles one way. When we made it, I thought it was such an accomplishment and a crazy adventure! It is a fond memory that I think of often.

Because that memory makes me smile so often, I added an event to the bucket list. Since I have been training for this half marathon I made it a goal to one day run from my home town to Cowely, sort of "reliving" the memory of when I rode my bike, but as a grown up, (that is weird to say) run instead.

Today I was able to check that off on the bucket list!

I was a bit discouraged when I woke up to rain and a bit of wind, but I figured...I have to be prepared for the worst on race day next weekend and I NEED to get this run in for more than one reason! I didn't let a bit of bad weather stop my dedication.

As I took off, one foot in front of the other with the rain beating on my face, all I could do was smile. Even though I was already losing sensation in my limbs due to the 40 degree temperature, rain, and wind, I was a happy girl on another adventure!

The feeling that overwhelmed me as I ran passed that sign that read "Welcome to Cowely, population 655" was so remarkable that I can't even express it in so many words. It is a feeling of accomplishing any goal that is set. I get goosebumps as I write about it! From my turn around point I just felt that the whole way back was a continuous finish line as I grinned from ear to ear!

Seeing the sign welcoming me back into Lovell was surprisingly not as glorious as the one welcoming me into Cowely, but it gave me pride and a satisfying feeling of accomplishment!

I am confused at my stats though...

I tried this run walking 30 seconds after every mile and it felt great!! According to my ipod and comparing it to the rest of my iPod runs, it is a GREAT pace for me! Especially in rain and wind!

Garmin HR monitor: It is a cloudy and rainy day, so I am not sure the GPS satelites were accurate.
10 miles
1:41:48
1185 cals
10:10 avg pace

iPod Nano w/Nike sensor: Not sure if this is correctly synced, as I walked 30 sec after ever mile.
12.03 miles
1:41:47
1117 cals
8:28 avg pace

Google tells me it is 6.4 miles from Lovell to Cowely. I am going to take the car out and use the odometer as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment